S18059 Educational Assistant
Educational Assistant - Temporary
We are excited to have a temporary Educational Assistant opportunity available starting March 2019.
Lethbridge School District is looking for empathetic, sensitive and patient individuals to work as part of a dynamic team. Lethbridge School District, embraces diversity and functions in a dynamic, innovative and fast paced environment. The Educational Assistant provides assistance to students requiring targeted and specialized supports and services in order to effectively participate in the learning community. Tasks performed are varied and dependent on the needs of the student. Responsibilities include attending to physical needs, assisting with academic tasks and assignments, monitoring progress and implementing and monitoring established behaviour modification programs.
Educational Assistants work primarily with the assigned student(s) and teachers. Successful applicants will require sensitivity and the ability to develop trust and rapport. Employees participate in Learning Team meetings to share information, receive direction and provide input into the coordination of student programming.
What will you work?
Monday to Friday
This is a 10 month position
What will you do?
Applicants will support students with behavioural challenges and/or complex physical disabilities, developmental delays and/or severe medical needs. Duties will include ensuring students’ safety at all times, implementing individualized programs and carrying out Positive Behaviour Support Plans as outlined by the student’s Learning Team. Behaviours that the plans target may include, but are not limited to, severe opposition, hitting, kicking, spitting, biting, scratching, and throwing of objects and the use of inappropriate and/or foul language. Supporting Individuals with Valued Attachments (SIVA) training is an asset.
What do you need to succeed?
Training and/or experience working with students with severe behaviour difficulties is necessary as well as an understanding of ASD, ODD, FASD, ADHD and/or other behavioural disabilities. Candidates should have proven experience executing Positive Behavior Support Plans. Training and/or experience with OT/PT would be an asset. The successful candidate must be willing to provide personal care, lifting and toileting support for students. Incumbents may also be working with students who have recently migrated from other countries and these students may have significant achievement gaps and/or social-emotional concerns. A strong understanding of trauma and loss, resiliency, building connections and conflict resolution skills is required.
The successful candidate will be able to create rapport with all students and staff, adapt to dynamic learning environments and be flexible. Additionally, the successful candidate must have exceptional communication skills and show initiative in solving problems and creating opportunities for student success.
Primary responsibilities are listed above. However, the Educational Assistant is an integral part of a team working with students with behavioural issues and/or complex physical disabilities/developmental delays and will be expected to assume other duties, as required.
Mike Mountain Horse - 1 Position
Education and Experience Required:
- Proof of Grade 12 or General Educational Development (GED). Education received outside of Canada will require a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) confirming high school or post secondary equivalencies.
- Post-secondary certificate or diploma in a related field such as Educational Assistant, Early Childhood Education and Child & Youth Care.
- Combination of education and experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to Lethbridge School
District No. 51 who are offered employment must provide:
- A satisfactory police information check; including Vulnerable Sector Check from Police Services or an RCMP detachment.
- A satisfactory Intervention Record Check from South Region Alberta Child and Family Services.
- Proof of photo identification, may be a valid driver’s licence, provincial identification card as issued by a licensed government registry office, valid passport or Nexus card. If one cannot be provided, a new card must be obtained and proof of application provided within three days of hire.
- Documentation of a valid Social Insurance Number in the employee’s legal name. If valid Social Insurance documentation in the current legal name can not be provided, the successful candidate will be required to obtain a new one within three days of hire.
The wage range for this position is $19.49 - $22.06/hour depending on education and experience.
Enjoy having evenings, weekends & school holidays off!
Enjoy access to benefits for you and your family!
Make a difference in a child's life!